Sunday, January 22, 2012

Light and joy. These are the twin hallmarks of today's Feast of the Epiphany of our Lord. We know the characters of the story: young newlyweds with an infant child, three men who have journeyed on an arcane quest to find the new king, and the worldly king Herod. The newborn child gives each of these characters new purpose, new meaning, new hope, new joy, a new destiny in life. Except one. Herod clings to his own self-will, and his self-absorption turns to dread fear that he will lose what he perceives as his place of privilege and honor. Fear turns to desparate rage as he lashes out against the threat.

Lord Jesus, may I never be so caught up in myself that I cling to anything or anyone but you. May my only purpose be you, and in you may I find my light and joy, my future and destiny, my today and my tomorrows.

Blessed Epiphany.
1/8/10
Msgr. William J. King

No comments:

Post a Comment