Monday, September 24, 2012

A fourth grade religion class in a Catholic school was asked to write a very brief letter to God. Here are some of the students’ letters:

Dear God, I bet it's very hard for you to love all of everybody in the whole world. There are only 4 people in our family and I can never do it.

Dear God, did you mean for giraffes to look like that or was it an accident?

God, I read the Bible every day.

What does beget mean? Daddy told me to ask Mom, and she won’t say.

Dear God, is it true my father won't get in Heaven if he uses his golf words in the house?

Dear God, please send Dennis to a different summer camp next year.

Dear God, maybe Cain and Abel would not kill each other so much if they each had their own rooms. It works out OK with me and my brother.

Dear God, I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset you made on Tuesday night. That was really cool.

Dear God, Thank you for my new baby brother but what I asked for was a puppy. I was surprised when I got a baby brother instead. Mommy and Daddy said they were surprised too.

Dear God, if you’re at Church on Sunday I will show you my new shoes.

Dear God, it’s just great the way you always get the stars in the right place every night. Why can't you do that with the moon? It’s always moving around.

Dear God, I am doing the best I can. I’m trying. Really. Don’t ask my parents, though, or my teacher.

Dear God, please make my grandma feel better. She’s sick. I never asked for anything before in my whole life. You can look it up.

Dear God, I always wonder at Mass how you can fit yourself into that little piece of bread. It must hurt. Anyway, I think it’s really neat.

Dear God, I heard that you should love someone, but I’m not rushing into it, because I’m finding fourth grade hard enough right now.

(and my favorite…)

Dear God, I just hid the statue of Mary that was on my dresser, because I want a new bike. If you ever want to see your mother again, get me the bike.

========================

• Holiness starts with the little things.
• Holiness starts with looking at the little things and being able to say “Wow, that’s really neat.”
• Holiness starts with recognizing that God cares about the little things.
• Holiness starts with letting God into the little things of our lives, and not waiting for the big things to invite God in.
• Holiness starts with recognizing that the little things in life aren’t distractions or obstacles to prayer and holiness; they are the reason for prayer and holiness.
• Holiness starts with finding awe in puppies and little brothers and giraffes and sunsets and stars, and how grass grows and how clouds make shapes, and saying, “Thank you. That was really cool.”
• Holiness starts with looking at how God works and admitting, “I don’t understand it; but anyway I think it’s really neat.”
• Holiness starts with realizing I don’t have to prove anything to God, and I don’t have to earn His love; it’s enough to say, “I’m trying. Honest.”
• Holiness starts with looking at your problems and saying, “God, I guess I’m not perfect, but I really need you.”
• Holiness starts by accepting that there are miracles. Every day.
• Holiness starts by falling on your knees before something as wondrous as the flesh and blood of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist, and not trying to figure it out, but just saying, “Wow. Thanks.”

— We make things like holiness and religion complicated, but they’re really not. They’re as simple as the thoughts of a little child.
 
September 23, 2012
Msgr. William J. King

No comments:

Post a Comment